Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Tried to Tri.

My number and totally sweet wound from my bike pedal.
August 28, 2010. What can I say about my first triathlon? It kind of sucked, but I sort of loved it. It was a sprint triathlon with a 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike and 5K run.

The swim was fabulous. I was a swimmer in high school, so it's my strongest sport. I finished the swim, got dressed and started the bike. I was feeling great and thinking how fun it all was. I even made it up that beastly hill. About 2/3 of the way through the bike route I heard a POP! HISSSSSSSS.... low and behold, my tire was flat. 

I ask you, what are you supposed to do if your tire pops during a triathlon? WHAT? I walked/jogged/rode on a flat tire the shortest route back to the race start. My poor little heart was broken. I knew I'd be DQ'd for not finishing the bike, so I just laid the bike down on my towel and started the run. I was sad, so my run was slow and bitter. I drank Gatorade from the aid stations. I think I drank too much Gatorade from the aid stations, because I totally puked after I crossed the finish line. An old lady in a purple shirt couldn't take her eyes off me whilst I puked. It's like a car wreck, I guess.

Me trying really hard not to hurl.
That pretty much sums it up. So, next time... NEXT TIME...

1) Slime in the tires, pehaps?
2) No Gatorade.
3) No running over large METAL SHARDS.

The metal shard that popped my tire and broke my heart.  LOOK AT THAT THING!
Until we meet again, triathlon world... until we meet again.

7 comments:

Doulabug said...

I am amazed that anyone could even do such a thing without dropping dead. You have inspired me to get up out of the chair.

Curses on you metal shard that broke Katrina's heart. Boo.

Brownie Bites said...

That is a big metal shard. So sorry about your bike tire. But congrats on everything else. I'm sure the next tri will be better!

Effie said...

Looks like sabotage to me. Maybe it was the old lady. :)

courtneyb said...

this may be our way of hanging out for now on, meeting up at triathlons. I thought you did fabulous and I'm glad it wasn't the bike shops fault :)

Lindsey said...

I feel so bad for you! Let's do it again next year and make it right! You still did great to finish the run. Lots of people would have just quit. But not you. No. Not you. :-)

Unknown said...

Great job Katrina! I have watched my son do triathlons so I understand the training and work it takes to complete it. You are amazing.

At my sons second triathlon his bike broke down. His chain came off and broke something. I’m not sure what. He got his chain back on and was able to finish the ride. No one can help you so you need to go prepared with a new tube to change your own tire and a pump to pump it up. Those are things he now travels with.

Saturday he rode Centerville to the top of Emigration Canyon. It take a lot of commitment but is well worth the work. Do it while you are young and energetic I saw. Keep active, keep going or you will end up looking like us other old ladies!

Way to go! Keep it up!

Debbie

Bev said...

You are so SPORTY! Way to go, you are my hero!!!