Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm but a mere mortal

Thursday I was driving home from the gym, and I was thinking to myself how awesome I am because I never get a flu shot, and I never get the flu, and flu season is all but over and I WON AGAIN, so take that sucka! 3 hours later I was laying on my bedroom floor with my cheek on the vent, except I didn't notice my face was on the vent until Addie walked in and asked me why I was "doing that". Oh man, the gods of flu smote me hard for my blasphemous thoughts.

Friday was spent in bed. It was fun. I was sweating profusely, had the window open, fan on full-blast and a thermometer under each armpit. (Well, one was Celsius and the other Fahrenheit so I was having a show down. And I was too congested to keep my mouth closed for an oral temperature reading, and I wasn't really in the mood for a rectal reading that day.) Then like 2 hours later I was chattering away under 4 blankets and 2 layers of clothes wondering when it got so COLD.

I shan't bore you with the details of the subsequent days, but I submit that the flu is more powerful than I. Just when I think I have a handle on it, it punches me in the face. Did you know that the flu can last up to two weeks? Did you also know that my kids don't care that I'm sick and still want me to take care of them? Bless their little hearts. Last night for dinner, I think Addie and Ava ate cheese. I don't remember what the others had.

Well, they're all still alive, so score one for me. Me: 1. Flu: A billion.

4 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

The flu hit us bad this year too. Most of February is a blur. 2-3 weeks. Hang in there.

Doulabug said...

Oh no! Oh no! I HATE that you have the flu. It hits so fast and so hard and you think you're going to die and it just stinks. You have my sincere sympathy. If I were there I would make you chicken soup.

P.S. the word verification for this comment is "isobb."
I sob. Does it make you smile??

Becky said...

I'm so sorry! I had the flu in February, so I completely empathize with you! I was by myself, Rob was in Costa Rica for a week, and a few days into it I was sitting on the couch and bawling my eyes out because I was so sick. To top it off, Kaitlin came up and asked me if I was going to die. Obviously not, but I sure felt like it! I hope you are better soon!

courtneyb said...

I had the flu big time on Christmas and I also felt awesome because I never get the flu shot. I decided that next year, I'm going to give it a try. And so will my kids.