Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Today I'm happy for mediocre health insurance.

One of the downsides to Nils' job is that there are no benefits. We spent a couple of months trying to find a family health insurance policy that wouldn't suck us completely dry, and that would actually pay for things like regular office visits. It sounds a lot easier than it actually is. Shopping for individual health insurance is one of the most frustrating and exhausting things I've done. It was so aggravating that we really considered just bagging the whole thing and saving the money every month in case of any medical expenses. But, I don't know, what if someone has to stay in the hospital or breaks their coccyx and has to have surgery, or worse? I was just never comfortable with being totally uninsured. Too scary.

At any rate, we were finally able to find a plan that only sucks us a little dry, and is only moderately mediocre... and today I'm actually glad! I've been sicker than sick for the last week or so. Extreme fatigue, aching body, sore throat... snot! So much snot! Hacking cough from H! Then I gave it to Nils. Then Aani dropped. Super awesome. Anyhoo, both Nils and I have strep and Aani has a double ear infection. After a day on antibiotics, I am a new woman! I think of how much it would have cost to self-pay at the doctor for all three of us, and get all of us medicated; I think it's safe to say the insurance paid for itself this month.

Now if I can just get a refund for all those months that nothing happens, that'd be greeeeeaaaaaat. Oh man, I am FUNNY!

3 comments:

Nils said...

Thanks for the strep, baby!

Bev said...

Ugh no fun being sick! I was there a couple weeks ago and wanted to die bc i couldn't breathe. Hopefully you all are feeling better :)

Doulabug said...

Awww, I'm sorry you have been sick. But antibiotics did the trick! We have been on the health insurance bandwagon too. It is definitely frustrating but as my grandmother used to say, "If I had to choose between buying health insurance and groceries, I'd buy the insurance."