Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Housekeeping items

Nils started a new job about a month ago. It's a long story. For now, the ending of that story is that he is working for the Church as a front-end developer. It's good. It's good because he gets benefits (WHAT???), a good salary (WHAT???) and can only work 40 hours a week (WHHHAAAATTT???).

So far, I think he's feeling a bit out of his element. This is his first experience working in a corporation, as opposed to small companies where he's the only one that does what he does. He also has to wear slacks, collared shirts, and dress shoes to work, which has been the biggest hardship of this transition. :) I think it would be pretty funny if he showed up to work in a tuxedo one of these days. That way, he could flip his coat tails up, sit down in his cubical and program away. Hilarious! Anyway, this is a great opportunity for him career-wise, as he's learning a whole new skill set.

When our benefits kick in in a couple of weeks, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself! Speaking of which, I just have to mention the fact that we have been unbelievably blessed over the last few years. Not having health insurance through work and having to play the individual insurance game has been one of the most aggravating issues ever. I can't talk about it too much, because steam starts coming out of my ears. Suffice it to say that individual health insurance is a joke. We have gone back and forth between having it and not having it. When Addie broke her collar bone, and it cost us more with insurance than it would have without insurance, we decided to bag it. We haven't had it for a couple of years, and I truly feel like Heavenly Father has watched over and protected us and kept us well. We've had normal sicknesses, ear infections, etc., but nothing major. We've been able to self-pay without any troubles, and we are thankful.

School is going well for the kids. Anders' teacher is a hoot, and has described him as "delicious". Addie's teacher is a dream come true. The previous 4th grade teacher (who Anders had) was pretty notorious for being really hard. After Addie's rough year last year, I was having anxiety dreams in anticipation of her 4th grade year. About a week before school started, we got a letter saying there was a new teacher for 4th grade A.L.L., and she is magnificent. Sigh. So thankful. Aani is having a bit of a challenge this year in Chinese. Her Chinese teacher is from China, so she speaks way faster than last year's teacher. I don't think it's doing much for Aani's confidence so far, but I talk to other parents and know that she's not the only one. Hopefully it will improve as the year goes on. Then there's Ava, who is obsessed with preschool. She loves it, and I'm very thankful for the awesome moms and kids in our little group.

I'm being pretty mean this year about practicing piano and doing homework right when the kids get home. The TV is hardly on, since they all want to play with friends as soon as they're done with those things. We're soaking up the fall weather and enjoying it as much as possible. I've been running outside on days that Ava goes to preschool and loving it.

Life is good and we're a lucky bunch.

2 comments:

Doulabug said...

We love your little family! So glad things are going well!!

Jamie said...

I LOVE LOVE Addie's teacher. I still think Emi is better off not being in ALL, but every time I work with her, I think we made a huge mistake taking her out! AND we are all so excited you're moving this way!