Friday, September 30, 2011

September Recap

Ahhh, the end of September, and what a month it's been. Would you like a recap? You would? Aww.
  • Here's a picture of my darling girls during an afternoon session of playing school. They were getting along so well. It almost makes me forget about the weeping and wailing that took place this morning. 

  • As mentioned in the last post, Nils quit his "real" job and is now working for iGlobal full time. So far so good. He loves it when I ask him how he likes being unemployed. Now now, it's all in good fun. (He's loving it.)
  • Since June, I have been to the dentist 11 times. ELEVEN. Here I am, getting mold #2 for the crown that didn't fit the first time. Don't even get me started. But don't I look happy and approachable?


  • I now spend around 45 minutes a day driving Anders to and from school. The carpool situation didn't work out so well, and I was sweating a lot every morning trying to get everyone up and out the door by 7:30 a.m. By the time the older two were at school I felt like I needed a nap- at 8:30 in the morning. So, he switched to the later time track, which has worked out great. Anyway, I had no idea how much the morning insanity/carpool was stressing me out, until Anders told me how much he hated it and I thought, yeah, I really hate it, too. As soon as it was eliminated from our lives, I felt like having a party. Weird.
  • Anders joined the Chess Club and the school choir. I had to convince him to join the choir, but he was adamant about Chess Club. Did this child really grow in my womb? I've never even played chess. Ever. Goodbye, soccer. HELLLLLOOOOOO, CHESS!
  • Aani started in a neighborhood preschool, where we take turns having it at our house for 2 weeks at a time. My turn starts next week. Pray for me. Just kidding, I'm actually pretty excited. It's a rad group of kids and moms. Aani loves it, and it's FREE!
  • Ava has an obsession with toilet paper and diaper cream, not necessarily together. She'll pull little pieces of toilet paper off the roll, wipe her nose, then put them in the toilet. I kept thinking that we were going through toilet paper really fast, and then one day the toilet was clogged because there was probably half of a roll of tiny pieces filling the thing up. Arrrgggh. She also always manages to dig the diaper cream out of its most recent hiding place and smear it all over her legs, face, clothes and hands. It drives me cuckoo. 

  • At the beginning of the year, I made a declaration that I wanted to run a half-marathon this year. It didn't pan out in the spring, and I've had my sights set on one in October. I ran a 10k in July and thought I would die. Well, I've been going back and forth mentally about doing this half, but a couple of weeks ago, when I ran 7 miles without too much agony, I made up my mind to just sign up and do it. I called Nils and convinced him to let me sign him up too, explaining how much fun it will be to run 13.1 miles together. I've been learning a lot as I've been doing these longer runs, namely that: Chafing is not your friend. Also, that: Walking a minute for every mile I run works like a charm. SO GUESS WHAT WE'RE DOING TONIGHT FOR DATE NIGHT??? Running 9 miles. How cute it that? Isn't it nice that Nils, who hasn't been "training" for this at all, is willing to sacrifice a perfectly good date night to get this run out of the way? Maybe we'll hold hands the whole time. So precious.

    Anyway, I've been having nightmares about running, so obviously my anxiety about this thing is pretty heightened. I've gotta learn how to stop psyching myself out. I know it's going to be hard, and I fully expect to hate the last couple of miles, but I'll be happy to have this goal checked off the list. I'm curious to see if I'll want to do more when it's done. What an ordeal.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I am so so so so sorry about the dentist. I feel your pain (literally) about the dentist. If you are still reading my blog you might remember the whole ordeal with my root canals while being prego. NOT FUN. And, I couldn't even take the really good pain pills. Bummer. HOpe that your teeth work out and that you don't kill over running...I know I would ;c)

Jenealogy said...

Thanks for the giggles tonight - Katrina. Do you give lessons on looking at life with a smile?

Doulabug said...

I wish we lived next door instead of 2000 miles away. You would make me laugh and I would be your cheerleader while you ran. We could talk and talk and read books together and look at our cute socks. Larry would probably mow your lawn because he LOVES helping neighbors.

Instead, I'll read your best blog and laugh all by myself!!!