Saturday, September 03, 2011

A wee update

Hello, friends. How are you? I have blogger guilt. I suppose this is similar to scrapbooker guilt, not that I would know, per se, since I've never scrapbooked. But I imagine it's kind of the same thing in that I have 3 million pictures of stuff we've done, but I don't know which computer they're on, and the thought of looking for them and then uploading them here makes me want to suck my thumb and go night-night. That's my 'splanation for all of the picturelessness.

Well, some big things are happening 'round these here parts.

1) School started, and the night before it started I had a sob-fest. Oh man, it was ugly. For one thing, I actually really enjoyed summer with the kids at home. I loved the lazy mornings, and that they all played together and (mostly) got along all summer. I loved the lax bedtime, not having to stress about waking up at the butt-crack of dawn every morning to get to school. So, two big changes this year that made me a blubbering idiot: Addie going into 1st grade and being gone all day, and Anders going to a new school. Orchestrating the logistics of this in my head, and the fact that they both wanted the same time track, has given me an eency bit of stress. Thus, I cried the night before school started as we were talking about it and getting ready for the next day. Apparently my children have never seen me cry, because they didn't know what was happening. They asked me what I was doing. They asked me why my eyes were all red. Geez. I told them I was CRYING, because I was going to miss them while they were at school, and they thought I had lost my mind.

Anyway, I'm in a carpool with 2 other people for getting Anders to school, so it's all worked out just fine. I have an awesome neighbor who makes sure Addie gets to school on the mornings that I drive Anders & Co., and afternoons when I pick him up, Addie hangs out at said neighbor's house for a few minutes until I get home. Lest it seem that I never drive Addie, I do either drop her off or pick her up every day, so hopefully she's feelin' the mom love.

On a bright and lovely note, Anders loves school. Like, loves it so much that he's really sad that he has to stay home on Labor Day. I knew this change would be good for him, but I honestly didn't anticipate that he would LOVE going to school every day. I'm very pleased. Addie also loves school, but that's no surprise. I think staying all day has been a little bit of an adjustment for her, but school is totally her thing. I'm pretty confident that she'll be a teacher when she grows up. She loves bossing younger people around, and is rather effective at it. She's got those methods down.

2) Nils is quitting his job and going to work for iGlobal full time. iGlobal is the company he and his buddy started.


AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I won't give you the whole back story, because it's boring. But it's been 2 1/2 years in the making, and we've just been waiting for the company to grow enough so that he could do this as his day job. He's spent countless nights working on this thing. I'm sure he'll continue to do so, but it's super weird that this day arrived. It's scary to leave behind a great job at a great company, with benefits like insurance, 401K, a paid week off at Christmas- stuff like that. I'm still hyperventilating a little bit, but we're just gonna roll with this baby and see where it goes. It's freakin' me out!

Welp, that's pretty much it. See ya later, alligators!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, big changes for your family! Isn’t it fun as a mommy when the kids start to do the things that you dreamed one day would happen. I remember when our oldest started 1st grade and then so on and so on and so on. First grade is such a big transition! Our daughter Sarah started her first teaching job. She is a 1st grade teacher and loves.....loves.......loves those 1st graders! Which is funny because I still remember her in 1st grade.

The changes you are making are huge and right in line for a good long cry! Later in life when that youngest goes to 1st grade you may be ready to join the group of moms in the cheering section. I am in the cheering section with my youngest starting high school this year! Three more years and we are DONE with public school. Can’t wait! This is bad coming from a wife of a Jr. High School Principal! lol

Doulabug said...

Good luck with the new job!!

Good luck with all the school stuff too and as far as I'm concerned, go ahead and cry and hyperventilate. Makes ME feel better when I do!

Love and hugs