Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Easter Wienerbration and April Fool's Poo

It's good to be a Vander Werff on certain occasions. One of those occasions is on Easter, when we have what has become the Annual Wiener Toss. After the kids finish with the candy hunt, Uncle Greg (my brother) throws hot dogs off his balcony at the kids below. They might be raw, they might be cooked- you never know what you're going to get. I don't know if there's anything funnier than watching the kids run after hot dogs being thrown at them from above. We can't decide what to call it: the Annual Throwing of the Meat, the Annual Wiener Toss, the Easter Wienerbration? They all sound so nice, I think we should just use them interchangeably.

See? Some cooked, most not.  It's a bucket o' surprises, I tell you!

Nothin' like an Easter basket full of candy and raw wieners! Look at that happy kid!

On April Fool's Day, the day after the Annual Wiener Toss, I had devised a brilliant April Fool's joke to play on the kids. Since we got a puppy, we have had the pleasure of finding poo in random places in the house. It's gross and I hate it, and I have been tempted to kill the dog, or worse, give it away to someone at Walmart. Anyhoo, it's gotten better, but it did provide a platform for my April Fool's joke.

We had a movie night with our neighbors and I baked some brownies. During the movie, I rolled up a brownie into a few little pieces, and they looked exactly like dog poo. I put the brownie poo in the next room, and a few minutes later "discovered" it, and started yelling at everyone that I was going to kill the dog and so on. Everyone came into the room, and Nils asked, "whose turn is it to clean up poo?" The kids all insisted that it was none of their turns, so I said, "Fine, I'll clean it up." I bent down and picked up the brownie poo with my bare hands and slowly put it in my mouth. The grown-up neighbors knew about it, and Nils was in on it, but all the kids were totally fooled.

It may have been one of the greatest moments of my life, watching all those children with their jaws on the floor, thinking that their mother/crazy neighbor lady was eating dog poo. I said, "Hmm, not bad!" Then Nils picked up a couple pieces and ate them. It was great.

Ava asked me for the next two days why I ate poo. Poor, confused girl. Best April Fool's joke ever.

5 comments:

Kat and Steve said...

You are killing us! Everything about this post is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

Unknown said...

Oh...my goodness! I laughed just thinking about it!

Doulabug said...

I don't know what's funnier - raw hot dogs flying off a balcony or brownie poo. I would have paid good money to see either one!

Brownie Bites said...

BEST APRIL FOOL'S JOKE EVER!

Teresa said...

I've never been prouder to call you my "friend".