Sunday, August 11, 2013

Halfway to 70

Today is Nils' 35th birthday! The following is an example of why I love him:

On Thursday, I called Nils with a small household concern. This evolved into a small honey-do list involving hanging things on walls, etc., which then evolved into, "While we're at it, why don't we just rip up both bathroom floors, paint the vanities, re-paint the walls, frame the mirrors, get new faucets, tile the floors, and put bead board up?"

So that's what we did this weekend. Friday night after we got the kids to bed, we were both scraping up the old linoleum from the bathroom floor. It was fun. I stayed up until about 3 a.m. painting the vanity out in the garage while Nils worked on tiling the bathroom floor. I had to call it around then, I was pretty delirious. Nils stayed up until 4:40 grouting the floor. We got up at 8:30 and were back at it. We worked all day on painting the vanity, painting the bathroom walls, measuring the bead board and chair rail, feeding the kids, making sure they were alive and accounted for a couple of times, etc. We got the bathroom put back together around 8:00 last night, and it looks awesome. And we did it together! It was fun and exhausting and our house was a total disaster, and the kids were orphan-like, wandering the neighborhood like little scoundrels.

Most things are fun with Nils. I love him. He's my bestie, and I love to be with him. He works hard at making me happy. If things aren't right between us, he's usually the first to acknowledge it to see what needs to change to fix it. Nils is a lot different than me in a lot of ways. He has an inherent need to be productive and creative all the time and always has a project going on. I just need a clean house and a good meal and I'm pretty happy. 

Anyway, I'm really thankful for him and the good man he is. He's so good to me, and I don't think I could have a better match. So thanks for all of that, Nilsy Nils. Happy birthday to you.

P.S. I'm sorry for not getting you a present. Maybe we can eat your cake in our new bathroom!

P.P.S. Aren't you so excited to do the other bathroom next weekend!? 

3 comments:

Nils said...

Hi, Love. Thank you. It's been a fun birthday and despite the long hours on the bathroom, I loved that it was together with you. We're better together.

PS - Thanks for being hot.

Doulabug said...

Wow what a guy! He's a keeper for sure. Would love to see pictures of your latest project!

Unknown said...

Sweet!