Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sweet back to school story


This school year brings some changes for Addie and Aani. Addie was accepted into the A.L.L. program at the same school that Anders has been attending for the last two years. Addie really didn't seem to care one way or the other, but we've been very happy with our experience with Anders, so we decided she would do it.

We tried unsuccessfully to get Aani into the very popular Spanish Immersion program at our neighborhood school. Not long after we found out she didn't get into that program, the school down the road called me and offered her a spot in their Chinese Immersion program. After giving it some thought for a couple of weeks, we decided to go for it. Why not? Any opportunity for her to learn a new language at such a young age is great, I think. She's been excited all summer.

Last night  when we were tucking everyone in, Addie started bawling. She said she felt scared that she wouldn't have any friends, wouldn't know anything about the school and that she would miss Mommy and Daddy (???), etc. We reassured her that everything was going to be fine and she would love her new class, but she was still upset and crying. I suggested that she pray and ask Heavenly Father to help her to not feel nervous or scared, and that she would have a great first day at her new school.

This morning I took Aani to her new school, and Nils drove Anders and Addie to their school. Before they left, I asked Addie how she was feeling, and she said, "I feel better. I think my prayer helped me." Be still my heart! When they got to the school, there was a red carpet going into the front doors, with the faculty standing on either side of it, cheering and giving the kids high-fives as they walked in. It goes without saying that teachers are grossly underpaid, and Utah gets a bad rap for having under-funded schools. I must say, however, I am constantly in awe of the teachers my kids have had, and what they are able to do with the resources they do have. Teachers are miracle workers and I love them.

Addie had a great first day of school. She said her current 3rd grade teacher is in a tie with the teacher she had for both 1st and 2nd grades. That is really saying something, because she thought the world of her 1st and 2nd grade teacher. I'm so thankful that her prayer was answered and she was able to recognize it.

Aani had a fun first day, too. She has an English teacher and a Chinese teacher, so her day is split between the two. The Chinese teacher only speaks in Chinese. Aani said she was so funny. She said she had a tomato on her head during class. Can you imagine what this teacher has to do to keep the kids' attention while only speaking Chinese? Bless her.

Anders seemed to have a good day as well. His teacher is a man, which is a first for him. Anders seemed pretty impressed with everything he did prior to becoming a teacher. His classmates are mostly the same from the last 2 years, so he feels a little less enthused about starting a new school year, I think. And, since he's getting so old, school is less cool and more drool.

Ava is starting preschool in a couple of weeks. What am I going to do with myself for 4 whole childless hours a week? I'll probably do something really awesome. Like clean.

2 comments:

Nils said...

Having just arrived home from work (at 11:30 pm) I'm glad to hear they all had a good day. I'm also very grateful for their teachers, past and present. I've always felt like they have it good and it makes our lives easier not having to worry about that.

Also, didn't we decide we'd have long lunches twice a week together during your time off? Or am I coming home to help you clean? Either way, as long as you're there I'm cool with it. Happy new school year!

Doulabug said...

Love seeing this picture of the kiddos because we miss you guys! And I hate seeing this picture of the kiddos because we miss you guys! I am so conflicted.....No but really, they look handsome and adorable and glad to be home!