Sunday, April 17, 2005

Late on a Saturday

I don't think most people realize how long it takes to convert a video cassette to a DVD. My brother in law/friend Randy asked me to convert some videos for him to DVD. There are six videos, each being about two hours in length. After messing around for hours and hours trying to find the best way to do this, I finally have a pattern down. Unfortunately it takes two hours to record the videos onto the computer, then about a half hour to capture the footage and create the DVD menu, etc. Then it takes around 9 hours for the computer to encode the footage to DVD and then another few minutes to burn it. What a process! Hopefully I'll get quicker at this. Right now I've decided to capture the tapes during the day and then let the encoding take place while we sleep (not that we could ever sleep for anywhere near 9 hours). So I'm in the middle of doing video 2 of 6.
I spent the whole day today with the kids and once again I have to say I'm glad Katrina is a stay at home mom and I'm glad it's not me. I get a bit frustrated sometimes because I feel like I should be getting things done all of the time and it's hard to do that when you're trying to watch two small children. I guess I just have to realize that watching them and playing with them and taking care of them and just being with them is getting something done. It's something that they'll appreciate later on in life. We did get to go out at night and I got some new shoes. I then gave Anders a haircut when we came home. I'm not sure if it looks good or not but I like to think it's OK.
Well, it looks like my video is ready to be encoded so I'm going to restart the computer and then do that. Rock On.
-Nizzle.

No comments: