Thursday, August 03, 2006

High School

This Saturday is my 10-year high school reunion. Weird! I've been looking forward to it for quite sometime, but now that it's approaching, I'm feeling a bit anxious. It's really retarded, but all of a sudden I feel like I'm in high school again. There are several people in my ward that I graduated with- strange coincidence. One in particular is driving me nuts. She's seriously stressing about what she's going to wear, how her hair looks, and that she's gained weight. I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us have gained some weight. Especially those of us who have born children. We're 10 years older, for crying out loud. Anyhoo, I thought that ten years later people would be mostly over the whole high school image thing, but this girl is making me have a complex. It's really not healthy. Which brings up another point:

I feel that there is undue pressure on people to look a certain way, be a certain way, have certain things at a certain time, etc. I know it's cliche- society makes it so. I guess I'm feeling it pretty bad at this point in my life. I don't get it, though. I know I'm blessed. I have a wonderful husband, two great kids, a nice little home, cars that work, etc. A lot of people around me totally obsess about appearance, and it's really bumming me out. It's making me actually think these shallow things are important; I don't like it. When are you thin enough? When do you make enough money? When do you have to stop upgrading? It's so dumb. I can't even think about it anymore. Maybe when this stupid reunion is over I'll feel better.

No comments: