Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grandpa V.

Today we went to the cemetery to visit my dad's grave. He's buried at Camp Williams, which is about 5 minutes down the road from our house, conveniently enough. It's a military cemetery, so all of the graves are adorned with flags. It's quite a sight. All of the headstones are identical, except for names, etc., so it makes finding the one you want kind of challenging. Every year we wander around for a good while before we find my dad's, and once we do, we sit by it and let the kids run through the flags and spin the pinwheels that people leave on graves. The cemetery overlooks the point of the mountain, right in between Utah Valley and Salt Lake Valley, and it's peaceful and nice. I never feel sad going there, I enjoy it. Today Addie was asking where Grandpa is, and she seemed rather perplexed that his body is in the ground, because we've always told her that his spirit is in heaven. It's interesting to watch little kids try to wrap their minds around huge concepts.

The other day while I was driving, I was thinking about my dad. He died almost 17 years ago, and only met one of his grandkids. He now has 16, going on 18 grandkids. I was thinking that it's kind of sad that none of them ever really knew their Grandpa Vander Werff. Then I had the distinct impression that before they came here, they knew him well and he gave them lots of advice and grandfatherly counsel. I thought of my own kids with their Grandpa V., and just knew that he loves them to bits. It made me happy.

5 comments:

mooresclan said...

I am sure Uncle Fred (or your dad) spent lots of time with the grandkids before they came down. Your dad would have it no other way. I miss your dad too. I am so grateful I was able to spend a week at your house when I was little. I think of that week often and remember some of the crazy things he did at family reunions.

Who can forget the year he brought the motorcycle. He spent the whole time giving kids rides back and forth.

I still laugh about the year around the fire that your dad was telling a joke. Apparently he had told it so many times that your family had it memorized. ALL the kids in your family started singing the punchline with him. I remember asking Kevin about it the next day and he told me that it wasn't planned that you would all sing. You just started doing it.

I remember having the water fight at your house the week I was there. Your dad was trying to bring a new water heater into the house. All the kids were outside having a water fight and your dad was trying to protect the water heater from getting wet. Once he got it in the house, there was no stopping the water fight. I think your dad got your mom wet and then everybody else got wet.

I remember kneeling down at the table before dinner for family prayer. I thought that was so cool.

Your dad was an example to me. He was an amazing man that I am sure your children have already met.

Ashli said...

I'm glad your visit isn't a sad one. I hope you are feeling better!

Jess said...

K. I totally cried. I love those little-big impressions that we get. They remind us of who we are and where we came from. Thanks for sharing.

Bev said...

You got me all teary eyed Kat!

Doulabug said...

I really like the cemetery, too. I feel okay and good there.