Sunday, October 31, 2010

I Think I Like Soccer

Anders played soccer for the fall season. Here's a brief history of Anders' experience with sports: Crying, being carried off the field, being carried off the basketball court, whining about games, etc. So imagine my delight when he told us he wanted to play soccer this fall. Joyous rapture. At his first practice, he was arguing with the coach and picking grass. I thought I was gonna lose it on the boy. After that practice, I told him that A) We PAY for him to play. B) Driving 10 minutes away and sitting for an hour and a half at his practice is not #1 on my list of things I most love doing, especially if he's going to pick grass and not listen to the coach. C) He will not play sports if he's not going to try his best and have a good attitude. Seriously.

He turned it around. Holy cow, the kid really came through. His coach was fantastic. He taught the kids to play their positions, so they're not a herd chasing the ball. I really enjoyed watching his games. His team was a little bit like the Bad News Bears, but I was so happy with how much Anders improved. I love how soccer is all about teamwork. And I loved that Anders only had to be carried off the field once during the whole season.

He was sad when his last game was over. He really enjoyed playing! So, I decided that if Anders wants to play soccer, I'm happy to support him. I think it's a great game.

But basketball starts in January, and he wants to play. Heaven help us.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: