Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Little History, part 3

Did you have pets? What were their names? Were they usually strays? How did you acquire them?

There were several pets that made their way through the Vander Werff compound. There were two cats when I was very young. They were strays that we would feed, so they hung around. We named them Lion and Tiger. Such original cat names, yes. We had them for a few years, I think, but when we moved a few blocks away, they didn't follow us and we were sad. We tried to take them with us but they freaked out and ran away. 

When I was in 4th grade we got a dog for Christmas. His name was Ralphie, after the kid in the movie "A Christmas Story". He was a great dog. He died when I was in 10th grade. I don't like to talk about it. It was sad.  A year or two later, my brother brought another dog home and named him Champ. Champ was also a great dog. Eventually my brother moved away and couldn't take Champ with him, so he stayed with my mom. She took good care of him. He was her walking partner, etc. My sister took Champ after awhile and he was their family dog. He was happy. Then he got hit by a car and died. It was horribly tragic. Yeah, I don't like talking about that one, either. 

Wow. Think I've got some pet issues? 

2 comments:

Doulabug said...

Aww, I think Lion and Tiger are cute names for kitties. I hate when pets die.

Jess said...

Sad. I'm not a pet person...does that make me a horrible person? I loved my german shepherd Jakers when I was growing up. LOVED him. Then we had to take him to the pound for beating up another stupid dog. It was so sad. I still miss him.