Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Little History, part 2

Question: What kind of chores were you required to do for the family?

There are a few chores I remember well. #1 was dusting. For some reason, it was always my job to dust the staircase, coffee tables, side tables, bookshelves, etc. Man, I hated it. In fact, I rarely dust now because I really, really hate it. I know, gross. In my defense, I don't have a lot of surfaces that require dusting. I probably do that on purpose subconsciously because of my traumatic childhood dusting duty. I used to write my name on the coffee table with Pledge. Aaah, I can still smell the lemony freshness.

#2- Weeding. Holy crap, the weeding. My brothers and I each had a section of yard that we had to weed on Saturdays. It was torture. We had these neighbors across the street that always won the "Yard of the Week" award from the city. It was obnoxious because our yard always looked like crap compared to theirs. They had curbing around their dirt mounds- we didn't. Mystery solved. Unlike dusting, I don't mind yard work so much now.

#3- Cleaning toilets. When I was a small child I enjoyed cleaning the toilets. Granted, my brothers had their own disgusting bathroom downstairs that I wasn't required to clean, so it wasn't bad at all. My love of cleaning toilets has since died. It's the stench that drives me to do it now.

And that's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

Doulabug said...

Dusting? Check. I hate it.
Weeding? Check. I hate it.
Cleaning toilets? Not so bad with the bottle of toilet cleaner that has the little neck to get under the rim.
And with gloves I can do almost anything. Hooray for gloves!
What I really hate is doing debris management in the house. You know. Clutter. UGH.

Jess said...

I love these history lessons. I've been thinking alot lately about my blog and journal and I might just start copying you! CHores stink! I hated doing them as a kid and I hate trying to get my kids to do them...but I still do!