Friday, July 25, 2008

The San Diego Report

We rolled back into town last night. We had a fun time. San Diego is beautiful and the weather is perfect.

We learned some valuable lessons on this trip. Anders and Addie are now at ages of being very interactive and fairly cooperative, so we were a little ambitious with our plans. We wanted to go to Sea World on Monday, the beach on Tuesday and the San Diego Zoo on Wednesday. We did all of the above, but by the time Wednesday rolled around and we got to the zoo, we didn't give a hoot and the kids didn't give a hoot.

Lessons Learned:

#1- San Diego is far away. By golly, it's almost in Mexico. Don't underestimate driving time.

#2- When you stay at a hotel in San Ysidro, CA, you can see a gigantic Mexican flag flying not far from you. You can also see a really tall fence and border patrol.

#3- We spent all that money on Sea World and the Zoo, but everyone's favorite part of the trip was the beach. The beach is free, as you may well be aware.

#4- There is nothing you can do to keep Aani from eating sand at the beach. Seriously. Sand is everywhere.#5- Wear more sunscreen. Shower in it if you have too. We're all fried crispy, even after what we thought were liberal applications of sunscreen.

#6- When your husband buries you in sand, there's very little you can do to keep him from making giant sand boobs on top of you. #7- After a couple days of amusement attractions, they start to run together. Do one or the other. I recommend Sea World, which leads me to...
#8- I'm not a fan of the zoo. I thought I would like the world famous San Diego Zoo, because I've really only been to the Hogle Zoo, which is....well, you know. The SDZ is really nice, but I didn't find it all that much different of an experience. The majority of the interesting animals were hiding. The kids didn't care about the animals we could see. We still found ourselves feeling sorry for the animals, being gawked at by a bunch of people with cameras and screaming kids. After about 3 hours of not seeing much, we asked the kids if they wanted to stay or go. They wanted to go.

#9-Only in Vegas do you see a truck with a cute cuddly bear and the word BIMBO underneath it. I think it's a snack cake brand? Anyone ever tried one? Photos for posterity:

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh how fun! I want to go!

Becky said...

What trip to the beach is complete without your husband making you a pair of big sand boobs?

Melanie Palmer said...

We are taking this adventure in two weeks so thanks for the tips! I didn't think about the whole sand in mouth thing for the baby...hopefully she only has to do that once (she's not the brightest bulb). At least you created some memories, and the kids can't tell you that you never take them anywhere fun!

Doulabug said...

My husband never made ME sand boobs.

Melinda B. said...

Is that how I am going to have to get big boobs? I do live pretty close the beach now...

I am so glad Addie didn't drown!
That is so scary.

And whatever is on that plate in the last picture, I need ASAP.

mooresclan said...

To think you chose San Diego and the beach over the Vanderwerff reunion at the park with all us wierdos, I am just having a hard time understanding that!

Brownie Bites said...

I want some of what Anders is having too. Sounds like a great vacation!