Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Two Important Items of Business

First item of business: After a few months of searching, Nils was offered a new job. His current job hasn't been going so well. They made everyone start taking one day off a week unpaid, and in the month of July, Nils was required to take 2 more weeks off- unpaid. Thank goodness for freelance. Anyhoo, he's very excited to start his new job. Good company, good benefits- and they seem like the kind of people that wouldn't make you go to a Chinese buffet for the company Christmas party.

Second item of business: I have been needing/wanting/searching for a pair of boots for years. Years and years. I'm pretty particular, so I haven't found a single boot to make the cut in all this time. Well, the search is over. I found them. I need them. I want them.
The problem: the cheapest I can find them is $230. Nils of course thinks this is the most ridiculous thing ever. He doesn't believe that I'll wear them every day for the rest of my life. I tried explaining to him how much money we'll save because I'll never have to buy shoes again. He asked me what my plan for getting them is.

My plan? My plan is to buy them. Someday. They will be mine. Oh yes, they will...be mine.

9 comments:

Farrah said...

Congrats on the new job!! And you guys need to watch the episode of
"Friends" about the boots. Reminds me of your story...

*Jane Lee* said...

Congrats on finding a new job! Chris has been looking around the market as well - know of any great jobs for software developers?

L O V E the boots! I haven't been able to find a pair of boots that flatter my stumpy legs... maybe these will do the trick? I'll start saving.

Jamie said...

I was just about to comment about Monica's boots on Friends but someone already beat me to it. Maybe you can do a boot co-op with some friends and share them :)

Melinda B. said...

Looks like you need to throw some Pampered Chef parties. It would only take about 5 shows and you'd have those boots! I assume you've looked on ebay and checked to see if any outlets carry them....

If not.... then Nils knows what to get you for Christmas.

Becky said...

You just need to buy them and then hide them in the back of your closet for a month or two. Then you can wear them and when Nils asks you about them you can say that they are not new and that you have had them forever. This way you are not a liar. This has worked many times for me. I should write a manual on this stuff.

courtneyb said...

Don't you have a year supply of food storage? That is why the prophet tells us to have a year supply, buy the boots and don't buy groceries for the month. But I have to warn you, my ONE pair of expensive shoes, I'm nervous wearing them.

Doulabug said...

Those boots are great. If you wore them to church to teach your gospel doctrine class, they would all sit up straight and listen carefully. Definitely a necessity.

Doulabug said...

P.S. I told Larry about your boots and how Nils doesn't believe you will never buy another pair of shoes again. Larry said, "Get it in writing. For $230, she has to sign a CONTRACT that she'll never buy shoes again as long as she lives." Cracked me up.

Holly said...

i just don't mention big purchases to dave. he doesn't notice. if nils asks, just quickly change the subject. or better yet, seduce him. that'll take any man's mind off the finances.