Friday, September 12, 2008

Church Ball

Church ball is back, baby! Some of my greatest memories and worst injuries came from playing church sports as a youth. Dislocated knees & shoulders, jammed fingers, sprained ankles... good times. I really am so happy that there are organized church sports again. We've been playing volleyball for a few weeks now, and it is a HOOT! It's so fun, in spite of the injuries. For a few days after every game I look like I've been shooting up, my arms are so bruised. Last week I broke two blood vessels in my hand. My knees are black and blue because I can't stop myself from diving for the ball. We had a game last night and Nils expressed his concern for my well-being. His health benefits don't kick in until October, which may have something to do with it.

I have a pretty competitive side, which I try hard to repress. Last week's game was against a very serious ward, and they kicked our trash and I hated it. I felt a little hostility towards them and had to remind myself to chill- it's church volleyball for crying out loud! At any rate, at last night's game (which was much more fun than last week) I was able to get in a few good hits and spikes and jumped up and down like a screaming maniac because I was so excited. I love church ball. Makes me feel like a kid again.

6 comments:

*Jane Lee* said...

Oh, MAN! Blast my stupid knee injury! I LOVE LOVE LOVE volleyball. That was seriously the only way I could mesh with the other super nerdy girls in my ward (they sucked, of course, but I was good- I thought). I was so excited when Katy told me a 'league' was starting up, but I have to have knee surgery on Oct 9th, so I can't make it any worse than it is now. Have fun and think of sad little me wanting to play. :o(

Ashli said...

I think I remember your dumb park laneish ward kicking our behinds as well. NOw that I'm thinking of i I"m hoping you weren't part of that "click" of a ward. Way to go. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, and if that means you sacrifice your body you just do it! :)

Teresa said...

So...I totally thought Nils was writing the post, until I saw that he was concerned for your well being! That is great! I love big bruises, they are fun to show off!

Gingerlylizzy said...

Katrina! I am sooo going to take you up on that offer... could I pick it up this weekend?

I am not sure I remember where you guys live...

The Cheshire Five!! said...

keep rockin' those awesome ballerina-like Katrina moves and i will be back to dominate with you as soon as i can!! Kens

Heidi said...

I had to look twice because at first I thought it was Nils posting, too! Wow, my animal sister. . .I bow down. For me, volleyball is dodgeball--which makes me a "please don't sign up to play" option for our ward. :)