Monday, September 08, 2008

Happy

I've been thinking a lot lately about being happy with now. A lot of time in life is spent waiting for the next big thing- a nicer car, a bigger house, a more prestigious title, better this and that, blah blah. A few weeks ago we took a detour home and ended up driving through a very nice neighborhood with gargantuan homes, beautiful yards, nice cars in the driveways, etc. I had a wave of jealousy and told Nils we shouldn't drive through places like this. As we've worked on our house and finished the basement, I've felt really rich and blessed, and seeing those houses made our circumstances seem humble and meager for a minute. Which is total crap, you know. I've gone through phases of life feeling inadequate and less than because of material status and it skewed my perspective and made me miserable.

So this morning I was taking an exceptionally pungent diaper out to the garage and was suddenly very thankful. I have a garage to store cars and poopy diapers. I could go on and on about the luxuries I enjoy, and my life really isn't that luxurious. So I don't know if it's the pills or what, but I'm happy with my circumstances as they are. And that's a blessing, me thinks.

7 comments:

Kari said...

at least you have room in your garage to store the cars and poopy diapers! :) Ours is overflowing with garbage!! I totally agree with everything you said though! We are so blessed!! It's just a matter of realizing it and being thankful for what we do have! I'm glad I have a new/used couch to spend my days laying on! :)

Ashli said...

Ditto...except we don't have a garage for the diapers but we do have a lovely dumpster right across the street. I have to keep myself in check often with keeping my carnal desires in balance. The other day I had one of those "waves" of gratitude wash over me for all that i have and it was really nice.

Farrah said...

We're in a 542 square foot apartment where there's been one dead body in the pool and another guy attacked by a hammer. Please, count your blessings for me! :)

Doulabug said...

Quick! Write it down! Remembering these thankful moments can REALLY help when things are kind of awful. Good for you for recognizing blessings. I think that makes God happy.

The Wootton Clan said...

Katrina, you are hilarious!!! I really enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the funnies...
:) Robyn

courtneyb said...

I had to catch myself before we moved back into our town home with the way I was thinking. I would find myself feeling like we shouldn't live in a town home if we have 4 kids. I had to swallow my pride and be grateful that we even owned a home. Now I"m glad I have less to clean and no lawn to mow. A town home is just fine, my kids like sleeping in the same room anyway.
good post.

Holly said...

i think you are wrong. all happiness comes from material things.