Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Food Feat

One of my biggest frustrations as a mom is feeding the children. The expert advice I always heard and heeded was that you present the child with the meal you've prepared, but make sure that there are one or two things included that they'll eat. I did that for a long time. The experts also advise that if the child doesn't want to eat something, not to make an issue of it. So in doing that, the majority of meals in fact ended up being an issue. The kids were whining, crying, gagging and acting like they were being tortured. It made me really mad. At times dinner turned into a drama fest with kids being sent to their rooms. And then crying that they were hungry, me growling, and the whole method being turned upside down and puking on all of us.

We were watching Super Nanny a few weeks ago. That show always makes me cry, because the kids are SO BAD, and I think and sometimes say, "those children would not be alive if they were mine." I really do cry- not because of the touching ending, but because I just feel so sorry for that poor mother who doesn't know what to do with her kids. And sometimes, I am that mother. ANYHOOT, on this episode, the 5 and 6 year old kids were bawling, screaming, kicking, hitting- seriously acting like 2-year olds because of dinner. Do you know what the Super Nanny said? She said that those kids were going to sit at that table until they ate their dinner! She said that! Only one kid didn't eat, and she got sent to bed early.

It was so liberating! So the next day we had a chat with the kids. I told them that they were going to start eating more of what I make, they would sit at the table until they did, and there would be no complaining. They nodded solemnly and agreed. It has been an amazing success. Anders, my most finicky eater, now eats what is on his plate. Yesterday he ate pork roast, people. And he liked it! He tries new food and realizes he likes it. We're still a long way from him eating any old thing, but he has made incredible progress. I think he especially is old enough for us to lay down the law. There have been a few marathon sitting-at-the-table sessions, but overall dinner is a much more enjoyable time. And that makes me want to cry.

8 comments:

mooresclan said...

I'm proud of you. Dinner is always a fight. Some day we will look back and miss these times- NOT, at least not dinner and bed times.

Doulabug said...

Congratulations! Sometimes the old fashioned way of doing things really are the best.

Misty Anderson said...

Holy Crap, I have the same exact problem with Trevin. Thanks for the advice. Wait I only cook like once a week! Still it is good advice.

Emmy Bludorn said...

Wow, thank you for that. We have the same issues. Before they even get their tiny little hineys on their chairs, they are whining and complaining. We've, too, tried not to make an issue of it but it hasn't been working and I'm, too, to the point where they will just have to sit until they are done. Now I have you for backup!

Melinda B. said...

Congrats on the break through.
I am so proud of Anders. We have a "try it bite". If it's something new or looks gross, they at least have to take the 'try it bite." Often they decide it's ok and will eat the rest.

Veena said...

I'm officially fessing up and leaving a comment on your blog. I'm so happy for your dinner time breakthrough. Sara is super picky too. I can't believe that I've never thought of this. Here's to me trying it out at my house!!

Holly said...

i need to send my children to your house for a little lesson.

well, just as long as you don't take them to walmart at 11pm.

Tigerlily said...

WOW!! That is awesome. Jessica never would eat anything new. It was always a tantrum and I want Mac and Cheese...until....school lunch. Now she even likes sloppy joes. I did that the other night with spaghetti and Amanda. She finally ate it.