Thursday, January 28, 2010

I've seen better days

Ava has been congested all week, and it's just gotten worse and worse. I took her to the dr. yesterday and was told she had a bad cold, but to watch out for rapid breathing, chest retractions and difficulty eating.

Today she had rapid breathing, chest retractions, and has eaten a total of 3 ounces. I took her back in this afternoon and it was determined that it is RSV, which isn't like the hugest deal or anything, but it scares the crap out me to have my little 8 week old struggle to breathe. N'stuff.

They sent us to the hospital so she could get the official "RSV Test" and to get her nose and lungs suctioned out by the respiratory therapist (who sticks a tube up her nose and down her throat to get all the junk out).

We did that, which was dandy, and I got her calmed down and buckled in the car seat, when I started feeling quite unwell. Oh, I forgot to mention that Nils met us at the hospital and took A's 1,2 &3 home. Merciful heavens that I didn't have all four kids with me.

So, ya know how before you throw up you get all hot and clammy and weak, and your mouth starts to produce obscene amounts of saliva? I started feeling all of these things, so I went into the bathroom which was situated right by the waiting room. All I could think of was barfing in the echo-ey bathroom, being loud, walking out of the bathroom and having everyone look at me, possibly seeing someone I know, etcetera, etcetera. I deluded myself into thinking I could make it home before tossing my cookies, so I went out to the car, put Ava in, and threw up in the parking lot for the next five minutes.

There's really no point to all of this, I just thought it was ironic.

And for the record, it wasn't the hospital experience that made me throw up. I had a stomach ache before we got there. Also, while I was vomiting in the hospital parking lot, I was thinking, "this is something that would happen to me, isn't it?" I've been known to christen a parking lot or two in my time. I guess the glory days ain't over yet.

Aren't you glad you read this?

4 comments:

Farrah said...

That just sucks. Especially having a sick baby. Zoƫ caught my cold I came home from the hospital with at two weeks old and it freaked me out (she stopped eating and the ped was all concerned and freaked us out). Wishing you all a speedy recovery!

Becky said...

Sorry that you guys are so sick! Hope that you feel better soon.

BTW, I would also like to see the face of the person who happened upon the "gift" that you left in the parking lot.

Unknown said...

Not fun at all! My youngest was on life support when he was three months old due to RSV. Not that you really wanted to hear that but it was better than sharing a throwing up experience with you!

Brownie Bites said...

So so sorry. What a crazy life this is. I hope you are both feeling better soon.