Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The wonderful life he led

Well, we knew the day would come that one or both of the fish would kick the bucket.

Bolt has passed. I know.... I know. I'll give you a second to compose yourselves.

We spent a lovely weekend in Nevada visiting Nils' parents. The fish were being babysat by the neighbors, and all was well until Monday afternoon when Bolt was found floating. It's sad that he died on the neighbors' watch, because they blamed themselves. I explained that these fish have lived way longer than is normal. Nils and I were tempted to ask them to keep the other fish until it died, but that wouldn't be nice, would it?

So, for FHE we talked about death. Tender. We explained the whole "spirit leaving the body" deal, and broke it to the kids that Bolt's spirit no longer resides in his body. Anders was sad for about 10 seconds. Addie said, "BOLT'S DEAD???" and then she sobbed for the rest of the night and was inconsolable. I said the closing prayer and said, "We're thankful for Bolt, and the wonderful life he led..." and laughed and laughed. I tried to muffle the laughter to sound like crying, but I don't know how effective that was, and yes, I know I'm going to perdition.

Anders did flushing honors, since it was his fish. Then he wanted dessert.
And, this was Addie for the rest of the evening. Bless her heart.
So long, Bolt. It's been real!

9 comments:

Becky said...

RIP Bolt Rasmusson.

P.S. I laughed forever when I read this.

P.P.S. That picture of Addie is priceless.

courtneyb said...

oh my good heavens, that is hilarious!!! You and your irreverent prayer! I love it!

Doulabug said...

I would have cracked up, too!

My mother FLUSHED my fish when he was still alive and then told me he jumped in. HA!

OH! I love the shower curtain. LOVE it.

Effie said...

lol! oh the drama.

Ashli said...

What a crack up. Poor Addie!

Bev said...

Ah little Bolt is in a happier place! Thank goodness!

Holly said...

Dave and I laugh way too often when our children pray, so we'll see you there!

And poor Addie.

TopThing said...

very funny.
big smile and friendship from indonesia.

Emmy Bludorn said...

I love that picture of Addie.