Wednesday, November 24, 2010

History, part 7

Was your neighborhood a good, safe place in which to take walks? Do you remember any incidences?


Yes, my neighborhood was a good, safe place in which to take walks. I grew up in Orem, for crying out loud. Back when I was a youngster, Orem wasn't the booming metropolis/car lot that it is today. We had the mall, which was a big deal, but other than that, it was a pretty simple place. I used to ride my bike to Walker's gas station to get 27 cent sodas and penny candy. With my incredible ability to ride my bike with no hands, I would drink my soda, (or "pop" as I called it back in the day, before I married Nils and he mocked me into "soda" submission) while riding my bike to Fred Meyer (where Office Max and Barnes and Noble are now) to check out all of the toys and goodies there. It was satisfying times. I realize no one says "satisfying times". Sorry.

Another example of satisfying neighborhood times: When it used to snow enough to cover the streets, our neighbors (the ones with the obnoxiously nice yard) would tie a toboggan to the end of their Suburban and pull all the kids up and down the streets. It was great fun. I don't think you could get away with that now, and it hasn't snowed that much in ages. Either that, or the snow plows are much more efficient these days.

I don't remember any "incidences". (But I like parentheses.)