Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Tree Room


I'm not a very festive person. I don't want to sound all bah-humbug, but I think holidays are kind of a pain in the neck and they just don't excite me that much. I also hate parades. But I digress. So with Saturday being Valentine's Day, and the kids having their school parties over and done with by Friday, I was ready to hunker down and pretty much ignore the fact that it was a holiday. Add to it that on Sunday Nils and I had to speak in church and it was my week to teach Gospel Doctrine, I planned on spending Saturday night locked away preparing for all of that fun-ness.

Nils surprised me by asking grandma to watch the kids, and said he wanted to go out to dinner. Then he said, "Let's dress up and pretend we're rich", which is funny because the very sentence is the complete opposite of reality. I'll cut to the chase. We dropped the kids off, and by this time Nils told me he had made reservations somewhere. We kept driving and driving and driving until we got to Provo Canyon. I finally guessed that we were going to Sundance, and then as a joke I said, "Are we going to The Tree Room?" Why, yes. Yes we were. And did.

When we asked for water, the waiter asked, "Sparkling, bottled, or tap?" We were confused. We ordered an appetizer, and when they brought out the plate with 1/2 cup of food on it, we chuckled (softly, of course). Nils ate a duck- part of a duck, anyway. He didn't like it. I ate a steak, and I liked it. We got dessert, and it was delicious. We got our bill and almost had a coronary. It was lots of fun pretending to be people we're not for 2 hours, and Nils kept telling me to enjoy it and not think about the money. We noted that on the previous night he was at a monster truck show, and that night we were at The Tree Room. To finish off the night we stopped at Wal-Mart to get diapers and dish soap, and knew we had come full circle.

Sometimes, ya just gotta live and enjoy it! But next time we'll spare the duck.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Brian's work (when we lived in Utah) had their Christmas party at the other fine dinning establishment up there. We got a peak at the total bill for all 13 or so of us and wished that he had just given us the money instead!! We both left not full. It is amazing how people pay SO much money for so little food on a regular basis! I love getting dressed up and pretending to be rich! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an adventure! I’m glad he thought of something special and meaningful to do for you! He loves you!

Doulabug said...

Well that's just the darndest sweetest thing I've ever heard and I'm so glad it happened to you. Duck isn't so bad but I do prefer steak! Happy Valentine's Day! Ain't love grand?

Jamie said...

Sounds way fun! The last time Brian and I went to a semi-nice restaurant I felt so WT handing the server our coupon when he brought us the check. Oh well, it's always fun to pretend you're rich and famous.

Emmy Bludorn said...

Good for you. We went to the Tree Room once. I think it was for an anniversary. I liked the ambience.

Doulabug said...

I just read your post to Larry about the Tree Room and he cracked up! He loved the water thing - you were confused, he was ROTFL and I love to hear him laugh so thanks!