Monday, September 14, 2009

I just might be crazy

My debit card expired at the end of August and I forgot to replace it with the new one. The first time I realized this was when I was at the mall, 25 minutes away. I was buying a few maternity shirts, because the day before, every shirt I tried on had grease stains on the belly. Classy. 2 days later (Labor Day) I was at the grocery store and had forgotten it again. I left the groceries. I came home, almost despairing, so frustrated at myself. Nils went back and paid for the groceries, because I couldn't bring myself to do it. Later that afternoon, we went down to the Walmart, which to this day makes me nauseous, but that's besides the point. I think we were in the canned fruits and vegetable aisle, and I felt the crushing walls of depression closing in on me. In the times that I have felt this way, it's all I can do to remain upright. If you've ever felt this way, you can probably relate. It sucks. Nothing matters.

So, I thought: Crap. It's coming back. No, it IS back. And, this is a really inopportune time for me to have an emotional breakdown. Couldn't we have picked a different time, brain? Really?

The thing is, when I first acknowledged that I might be struggling with depression 2 years ago (which was Labor Day, weirdly enough), I knew there were some underlying issues that were at the root of it. I worked through those and felt better, and have been feeling great for a year and a half. When it happened again last week, I wondered what could have brought on another round. Soooooo, after two days of mulling, I think I started to understand.
Without getting into the nitty-gritty, here's the deal:

My husband is insanely busy. Job 1, job 2, starting a business, church calling, kids, crazy wife, etc. The weird thing is that all of these are good things- especially the crazy wife. She's amazing. Anyhoo, I've been trying really, really hard to suck it up. All of the things demanding his time are decisions we made together and are in our best interest for the long term. So, the trick is trying to figure out a way to maintain a balance between the two of us while all of this is going on. And, I think things were starting to get lopsided. I've learned, yet again, that sucking it up and not expressing frustrations is very, very bad for my mental health.

When I was pregnant with Anders we went to a childbirth class, and the instructor asked everyone what their coping methods were when they were under stress. Most people said things like "read the Bible" or "take a hot bath", and I said, "I complain about it until I can find a solution." During labor, I didn't read the Bible or take a hot bath. I complained until I got an epidural. It totally worked.

In this instance, trying to make sense of my feelings and expressing them proved to be what I needed. I feel much better, and for that I'm very grateful. In life, there are things we just have to embrace. I've embraced the fact that my hair will always curl. I'm not crafty and I've embraced it. My need for cake will always trump my need for six-pack abs- embraced! I need to embrace my need to whine, and not feel bad about it.

I guess in order to preserve my emotional stability, I can't be a quietly supportive wife. I can, however, be a wife who supports her husband but gripes about it at the same time. Whenever I try to fill that "never complaining, always supportive" role, I lose my mind little by little, until one day forgetting my debit card almost throws me over the edge; but it's the Walmart that actually does.

12 comments:

Holly said...

walmart makes me SO nauseous. bleck, even writing that made me feel nauseous.

i feel that it's totally fine and justified to complain, especially when you are pregnant and a little more emotional than usual (not you you, but you in general). and i think that especially between a husband and wife who know all the ins & outs of their relationship, it's fine to complain. especially if nils knows/feels that you really are supporting him, but it's still hard to do so.

did any of that even make sense?

Brownie Bites said...

My heart is aching for you. I only have my own experience to try to relate. ...

I just erased everything else I wrote. Let's just say, I'm always open to a phonecall or visit from you if you need it.

My opinion is, its not whining or complaining, its sharing and its good for you, (in my case, in a very whiny, needy sort of way.)

HANG IN THERE!

Lindsey said...

Every single time i read one of your posts this thought enters my mind "I sure do love Katrina Rasmusson. MAN, I love that girl." No joke.

courtneyb said...

"complained until i git an epidural. It totally worked" hilarious!
"my need for cake will always trump my need for six-pack abs" agreed, so not worth the sacrifice.

Ryan is never home and i had to realize that the supportive quiet wife role didn't work for me either. My brother actually said something about the condition my house was in the other day and was caught off guard when I started crying. It's hard sometimes to keep the house cleaned as a single mom.
I'm glad you've figured out how to cope.

Teresa said...

When you are little you never picture being the quite supportive wife who stays at home while hubby is gone all day and into the night. I always (even a few years into our marriage) thought that, just like MY Dad, that the hubby was suppose to be home by 5:00 sharp every night. It was a blow to my little reality when Brian needed to stay later than 5:00! It is NOT easy to have to deal with "it all" all day long all by yourself. I too, am not good at being the quite supportive kind. I too need to complain and try and get a little bit of empathy. I know I am crazy, why don't you come along??

Ashli said...

I think you're great. I think complaining is fine. I relate. Rand used to think I was crazy but now he knows i need a good vent often and then I'm much better. Me knowing I'm like that and embracing it like you said makes it better too. Trying to not say anything makes for the worst back fire ever in the end. Rand now just say please just let it out. So...let it out my friend, let it out.

Nils said...

Have you tried reading the Bible while in a hot bath?

Bev said...

Takrina, a good vent, a good cry, it's all just fine and dandy, and it doesn't make you a crazy! Well we're all a little crazy though, life would be boring if we weren't!

ps. I loath Wal-Mart, yet i continue to shop at that damn place!
pps. We need to have a girls night out and i think it's my turn to host...i need to get on top of that!

Doulabug said...

Your girlfriends are the best! My additional thoughts have been eloquently covered by them all. So I'm sending love.

Katrina said...

Thanks, girls. Love you all.

And Nils, I don't think I have- maybe I'll try that in a couple months.

Gingerlylizzy said...

I hear yah sister. I am totally the "supportive while griping" type. Haven't come to terms with it yet, but it is what it is. I loved this post!

lovesflowers said...

I think Walmart makes me nauseous from the smell of Subway. Yuck. Hang in there sweet girl. Come over anytime. I am always available to talk to you.