Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Timpanogos: 5th Time's a Charm

Last weekend was my fifth venture up the most hiked trail in Utah- Mount Timpanogos. Aside from last year when we had to stop because the snow was past our knees, I've been able to reach the top of Timp for the last four years. Katrina and I first hiked it ten years ago and I love going up every time. Coming down makes me want to swear because it always feels like it's three times longer than on the way up, but that's another story. This was probably the most breath-taking year yet. The flowers were in full bloom, the wildlife was out and about, the sunrise was spectacular and I have a great camera that actually captures it well. So here are some of the 200 photos I shot during my hike this year.

The sunrise lit up the flowers and grasses, turning them into their most vibrant colors.Like a true dork, the second I saw this Mountain Goat, I grabbed my camera and literally went running after it like a crazed stalker. It was worth it because as I came near it, it didn't seem to mind and even crossed the path in front of me, coming within about 4 feet of me. Very cool.
I thought I'd employ Photoshop's Cutout filter on this one.We had finally made it to the top after six hours of hiking. It normally takes about four and a half but we had a couple of extra people with us that weren't really ready for the hike. After about 1/3 of the way they turned back and headed home. All in all it was yet another fantastic hike- one that I look forward to doing again next year.

4 comments:

courtneyb said...

NILS. those are amazing photos! i think i might want some copies. thank you for documenting it so well because now I never feel like i need to hike it ;)

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics! I especially like the goat one. I'm the same way when it comes to animals in the wild. If I have my camera I can't help but chase it down and take a picture. Unfortunately, I've never photographed anything as a cool as a mountain goat. My only claim to fame is a neat looking lizard at Arches. OK, now I'm rambling. It looks like you had a fun time. Who knows, if we're around next year maybe we'll tag along.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are great. And I'm impressed by the annual hike. I haven't attempted Timp - I'm more of a short hiker!

Lindsey said...

Awesome pics! Did katrina go too? What time did you hike?