Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Best Brownies

Here's the recipe for some darn good brownies. I searched high and low for a recipe like this, and I've learned some do's and don'ts throughout the years. Take heed, lest you have a pan full of junk.

8 (1oz) squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate. It's the whole box.
1 C. butter/margarine
5 eggs
3 C. sugar
1Tbsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C. flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat; set aside. When the chocolate is melted, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for 10 minutes. Blend in chocolate and flour until just mixed. Pour into greased pan. I use the Pampered Chef bar pan, which is 10x15 or something, but you can also use a 9x13 cake pan. They may need to bake a couple of minutes longer.

Bake for 25 minutes. Check to see if the center is done. I've learned that if the tester comes out a little messy, they're probably done. If it's total goo let them bake for a couple minutes more, but it's very important that they don't overbake!

They're great with or without frosting. I definitely prefer them with mint frosting. I don't have a recipe for frosting. I dump stuff in a bowl until it tastes good and is the right consistency. If you have a good butter cream frosting recipe, use that and add a teaspoon-ish of mint extract.

I hope you all love them as much as I do.

4 comments:

*Jane Lee* said...

THANK YOU!! I don't bake, or even cook, for that matter, but ONE DAY I will surprise my husband with something yummy like this and blow his socks off. He'll probably fall over dead because they'll be so delicious and because he'll be shocked that I would actually make something that didn't need to be fully cooked via micro-waves. :o)

jamiea said...

I didn't know you could make brownies that didn't come out of a box :) What a shocker! I will definitely try out this recipe.

Doulabug said...

This is very awful. I'm not eating sweets and you hand out a recipe like THIS????? Man. They look and sound way too delicious and I may have to make them for the husband.

Doulabug said...

Katrina - tell Nils I bought a Canon Power Shot A720 6x optical zoom and 8.0 mega pixels. $199. So far so good but I just bought it a little while ago. I have 15 days to return it so if he has a fit that I bought that one, let me know!!

Thanks, new friend!