Monday, April 14, 2008

Blinded


My children are selectively blind. I don't know what caused it for Anders, but for Addie it may have something to do with her licking rocks from the Provo River. Who knows?

We dumped the kids in the bath before bedtime tonight. Unfortunately, Addie inherited her mother's frizz. Her hair must be combed before it dries or she looks like a Q-tip that's been pulled on.

Me (in the kitchen): Addie, we need to comb your hair. Will you get me the comb?
Addie (in the bathroom): I don't know where it is.
Me: Look in the bathroom drawer.
Addie: I can't.
Me: You can't open the bathroom drawer?
Addie: No.
Me: Please find a comb.
Addie: I can't find it.

I went into the bathroom, and it was 2 inches away from her face. I said, "Look!" and Addie said, with a surprised chuckle, "Oooohhh! There it is!"

The eldest child, Anders, is amazingly adept at losing shoes. I think it's his selective blindness.

Me: Anders, we have to leave in 2 minutes. Please get your shoes on.
Anders: I can't find them.
Me: Did you look under your bed, in your closet, in the shoe basket...
Anders: I looked everywhere! I guess they grew legs and walked away.
Me: Anders. LOOK.
Anders: I DID!

There, in the middle of his floor...shoes! Sometimes he really can't find his shoes. He can always find his moon boots, though. As much as I like Napoleon Dynamite, I don't want my kid resembling him.

Are your kids selectively blind, or did mine just lick too many river rocks?

9 comments:

courtneyb said...

it's more my husband than my kids which makes it more frustrating because he's a grown adult

courtneyb said...

what happen to the d-land post? i was going to watch that video today.

Doulabug said...

Absolutely husbands are blind, too. Standing in front of the refrigerator - "Where's the yogurt?" Right in front of his nose. It makes us feel needed, right?!

Katrina said...

courtney, last night you tube said the video was no longer available, so i deleted it and was going to re-post, but i'm lazy. shall i?

Emmy Bludorn said...

Oh my heavens, little Matt is so blind it drives me absolutely nuts. His shoes will be on the floor in the family room where I have put them for him to put them on and he will walk around in circles "I can't see them; where are they?" Right in the middle of the stinking floor with nothing around them and he still can't find them! I will point and point and give directions and he still won't find them! Don't even get me started when he has to find something in his room, or the fridge or the bathroom. It's so bad I swear he has to be doing it on purpose!

Jamie said...

My kids are blind AND deaf. But only when it's convenient for them.

Teresa said...

Brian has to be the WORST when it comes to not being able to find things. He swears up and down that his items really do move themselves! Sabrina has the selective sight gene too. I know we are all doomed when I can't find something though! Then things are really lost!

Katrina said...

Oh my gosh, Emmy! That's happened with Anders. It's hilarious and completely mind-blowing at the same time.

Lindsey said...

This is so my kids! I will say, look, its right there in front of your face. They won't see it until I physically walk over and point to it. Frustrating!