Sunday, January 04, 2009

Banishing Taupe

When we bought our house almost 2 years ago, every room except the girls' room was painted taupe. Bathrooms even. It's not that taupe is a bad color. It's a fine color, really. But sleeping, eating, showering (or bathing in my case- TMI) in taupe surroundings can start to wear on you.

Taupe. Blah.
We toiled quite a bit over which colors to use. That green wall you see was painted three different colors. I won't go into details, but just know it was bad. This lighter green wraps around into the other half of the kitchen. It makes us happy. The brown wall makes us happy, too. It's like chocolate milk. Mmmm, chocolate milk.
We painted for three days. We essentially ignored our children for three days.

The problem with painting is that now I want one of these,


one of these beautiful 30 3/4 x 46 1/2 pictures,
about four of these,

and a whole host of other goodies at my favorite Swedish home furnishings store.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny! All in due time girl. When we moved in this house 15 1/2 years ago all the carpet was seafoam green. Countertops pink and walls almond color. The walls are now all white, my favorite, because I can see what needs to be cleaned. The kitchen floor is tiled and nice. No carpet under the bar anymore! :) We have changed out some lighting fixtures and the upstairs carpet is new and a deep grey. We also put in all new blinds upstairs, put in a gas fireplace etc.

A house is never done. I am still waiting to replace the downstairs carpet, the pink countertops, replace the shingles on the roof, new deck etc. It could go on forever. We just are not made of money and do not have a money tree growing in the backyard! :(

I feel your pain!

Holly said...

we are so MFEO. you guys have to come and see the colors at our place.

Jamie said...

Looks fabulous! I agree that taupe (beige, whatever you want to call it) is very BORING. We are also MFEO (i'm very proud of myself for figuring that one out) - those are the same colors we used in our bedroom.

Doulabug said...

Okay, I'm not getting MFEO. In the meantime, I wish we had Ikea here in Rochester. It makes me very sad to not have one.

Ashli said...

It looks Fab. You did such a good job. Don't you hate that when you get something done you think you will be happy but you always need to do a little add a little. I love Ikea. I think they should make bumper stickers!

Heidi said...

It looks great! I have to say, though, that I don't think what you had was taupe. Taupe is better than what you had. :) I thought you worked around it really well, but I love what you've done to the place now!

So did your kids have more brownie mix to lick up while you painted? LOL

Becky said...

I'm impressed by your use of color!! Also, for all of your hard work painting I think that you deserve all of your accessories from IKEA. It's only fair...

Lindsey said...

I love it! I need to come see it in real life.

Emmy Bludorn said...

I likey.