Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Big 6


Today is Anders' 6th birthday! A bit about our boy:

When Anders was born, I was shocked at the love I felt for him. Of course I always knew that I would love him, but I didn't anticipate how fierce my love would be. I would die for him. I would kill for him. I had never felt that way before. I remember when he was just a few days old (and I was still quite hormonal and emotional) I was looking at him and sobbing hysterically because I loved him so much, and the thought of anything happening to him was too much to bear. Anders has always been very intense. When he was born he screamed and screamed and screamed. The doctor said, "He's a screamer!" He's still a screamer. He's always been very sensitive and needed things to be just-so. There are many, many times that he just exasperates me. He tests my patience on a regular basis. He needs extra attention and reassurance. He's the kid I'm most worried about screwing up. He's ridiculously smart, and I think that's part of why he's so intense. He wants to know everything. Facts and figures, specific answers, my logic and reasoning for telling him no or to stop it- which happens a lot. Although this tries me at times, I know this kid is going somewhere far. For some reason I'm his mom, and I hope I can raise and nurture him in a way that helps him reach his potential and become who he's meant to be.

While he does require a lot of energy, he is also very endearing. He's a great big brother. He plays with his sisters all the time. He ADORES Aani. He loves Addie, too, but I think he doesn't express it as much because he doesn't remember life without her. He loves to spend time with family and friends. He wants to snuggle every night. He draws pictures for me and Nils all the time and hangs them on our bedroom walls. He's a good helper and when he sets his mind to it can organize a space like a pro. He really is a good boy and wants to do what's right.

Happy Birthday, my big 6-year old! I love you!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday to Anders! I can't believe he's 6. He is such a fun kid--I love his gusto for life. Tell him Aunt Heidi loves him!

courtneyb said...

at first i thought you were announcing a pregnancy.
I'm glad I"m not the only one that worries about screwing up their kids. Such pressure!!

Happy Birthday Anders!

Doulabug said...

What a handsome boy. I love the picture! Someday I would like to shake his hand.