Friday, June 01, 2007

Deep Thoughts of a 4-Year Old


Anders ponders the universe. I may have mentioned once or twice that he talks non-stop. This would be fine if our automatic responses of "Uh-huh", "Oh, really?", "Wow!", "That's cool", etc. were sufficient for him. But alas, they're not. He asks questions that have no answers, and then gets annoyed when he doesn't get an answer to satisfy his brain. I thought I'd share some of his latests zingers, and maybe you can help us with some answers.

Anders: Does Dear Heavenly Father have a mommy?
Me: Yes
Anders: Did she die? And did Dear Heavenly Father die?
Me: Wow, Anders, look at the airplane!

Anders: What is dirt made of?
Me: (Being the organic chemistry genius that I am) Dirt is dirt, Anders.
Anders: So you don't know? Then I'll just ask Dear Heavenly Father.
Me: Alright. Let me know what he says.

Anders: Mommy, how is the baby going to come out of your tummy?
Me: Uhhhhhhhh.........uhhhhhhhhh.......
Anders: Will she come out of your mouth?
Me: No, she'll come out of my tummy.
Anders: Will your tummy pop open?
Me: Yes, exactly.
Anders: And then they'll sew it up?
Me: Wow, Anders, look at the airplane!

Anders: Mommy, how did the baby get in your tummy?
Me: Wow, Anders, look at the airplane!

Anders: Mom, is macaroni and cheese healthy?
Me: Not really.
Anders: But it doesn't have sugar, so what makes it unhealthy?
Me: Refined carbohydrates.
Anders: Oh.
Me thinking: Holy schneikes, I can't believe I actually answered a question satisfactorily.

Yesterday he shared this little nugget with me, and I thought it was pretty funny:

Anders: Mommy, wouldn't it be bad if the whole earth was covered in peas, like the kind of peas you eat, and we couldn't drive or go outside?
Me: Yes, that would be bad. We would have to eat all the peas.
Anders: Yeah, but not the ones that are dirty.

He's also constantly asking if TV characters are real. Cartoons are an easy no, but real-life shows like Sesame Street are a little more tricky. And Mickey Mouse- if we go to Disneyland, how are we going to explain that one? "There's a man inside a big Mickey costume. He's an actor" and then we crush our son's universe.

His primary teachers told me that he "really likes to talk". Really? I had no idea. About 5 times a day, he exclaims, "Mommy, I still remember that Jesus was RESURRECTED!" as if he's about to shout praises of hallelujah.

I signed him up for preschool, but it doesn't start until August. What am I going to do with this kid all summer?

2 comments:

courtneyb said...

Brody is the same but not quite so intellectual! dang. from an outsider point of view, pretty funny.

Brody will hear and ambulance and ask me who they are going to save and "i don't know" doesn't cut it and the same scenario cannot be repeated twice.

Lindsey said...

OH MY GOSH, those are hilarious!!! That's why i love you katrina.