Friday, January 18, 2008

Let there be light!


It's been a while since I last posted an update on the basement. With the help of my brother Grove, I've been making some progress and it's coming along. See the lights in those photos? I did that. Yup. It's true. Well, I had help but last night I shut off the power to the house after installing all of the light switches, then I installed a circuit breaker for the lights and believe it or not- nothing blew up and nobody died. I'm excited. It's cool to flip on the lights when you had a part in making it happen.

So here's the basement status:
  1. Framing: 100% Done
  2. Wiring: About 65% Done
  3. Surround Sound Wiring: 100% Done (Gotta have priorities)
  4. Cable Drops: 100% Done
  5. Plumbing: Not Even Started :(
  6. Sheetrock: Two ceilings and one wall are pretty much done.
  7. Ductwork: 100% Done
So I'm getting there. As expected it's taking longer than expected. That makes sense, too, doesn't it? If you're in the mood to lift heavy stuff or learn to hang sheetrock, stop on by. I'll even let you use my sweet roto-zip thingamajiggy.

Nils' Top 10 Basement Lessons Learned So Far:
  1. I have bad aim with the hammer.
  2. My fingers take a long time to recover after being smashed by the hammer.
  3. I don't like the hammer.
  4. Playing with high voltage is fun.
  5. There are usually easier ways to do things if you have the right toys.
  6. Wood is rarely straight.
  7. I can fix it in the next stage.
  8. Sheetrock is very heavy when there are two people holding it above their heads.
  9. Sheetrock is insanely heavy when you're trying to put it on the ceiling by yourself.
  10. The screen in our family room will literally be 128" wide. Yes. 128".


The office (looking from family room)


The guest bedroom.


The (eh-hem) bathroom.


Storage room.
The Family Room (lights aren't hooked up yet)

3 comments:

Holly said...

will there be a party involving an optimus prime cake when the basement is finished?

p.s. i really don't know why every comment of mine lately has to include something about the cake. i just haven't had that much sugar in one setting in a long time, it really made an impression i guess. or maybe i'm just trying to drop hints to dave since it's my birthday next month.

p.p.s. still not sure what i'm going to speak about on sunday. but we "all-stars" can wing things like that.

Lindsey said...

Wow, nils! Great job! I'm impressed. Not so impressed about not getting invited to the raging party. But it's ok, i'm over it. Just put me on your email list from now on you meany head. (Meany head?)

courtneyb said...

why don't you have Katrina help you hold up the sheet rock? If memory serves me right, she was diagnosed by a personal trainer at the gym as a "hunter". So I'm assuming she has a lot of strength and endurance