Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Best Cake Ever

Today is our 7-year anniversary of marriage. My mom offered to take the kids yesterday and spent the night with them so we could have 21 hours of blissful kid-free time. But that's really not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about my sneaky, sneaky husband.

We agreed that we wouldn't do presents, we'd just enjoy the weekend together and do some fun things that we don't normally do. Friday night, Nils took the kids to an undisclosed location. He told me it had to do with our anniversary, but wasn't a present; just a little something he had arranged. When they got home, Anders said, "Mommy! We went to your favorite cookie store! But I can't tell you anything else!" I assumed they went to a bakery and there was cake involved. I love cake. It's my favorite food. I tried tickle torture and bribery, but Anders wouldn't tell me anything else. Friday night and Saturday morning I dreamed about my cake, waiting anxiously for the chance to eat it. I told Nils several times that he should give me the cake so it wouldn't go bad. He finally said, "It's not as perishable as cake." Did he buy me a honey bun? If I'm getting Little Debbie's for our anniversary, I don't think I can fake enthusiasm.

Saturday afternoon we went to Park City. We parked on Main Street and thought it would be great to sit and relax in the car for a few minutes. Pathetic? Yes. So there we were, reclined, watching people walk up and down Main Street. I thought, "What a good opportunity to eat some cake." I requested that Nils now present me with my cake, or honey bun, or whatever. He started giving me a romantic little speech, and then pulled out a small box. I was confused, because cakes don't come in small boxes. Honestly, I was expecting and truly looking forward to a baked good. Here's what I got instead:

I lost my engagement ring in December. After getting a metal detector, sifting through the central vacuum system, and looking in literally every speck of my mother's house, we came to the conclusion that it is gone forever. It's really crappy. I didn't just like my ring, I loved it. Nils had the center diamond upgraded for our first anniversary, and I was quite pleased with it. I assumed I'd get a replacement someday, but no time soon. Losing it was and still is really sad. This makes it a teeny-tiny bit better, though. :-)

Being genuinely shocked, here are some of the wonderfully romantic things I said when Nils gave me the new ring:

"What the????"

"Is it real?"

"How did you pay for it?"

and my favorite, "So did you go to a bakery or not?"

Turns out that the Shane Company has cookies and drinks, so the kids thought they were at a cookie store. Anders didn't even notice the jewelry and had no clue what Nils bought.

Needless to say, this anniversary will go down in the history books. Nice one, Nilsy Nils!

4 comments:

courtneyb said...

katrina, gotta give you props on your husband selecting. great story!

Teresa said...

Awwwww! Hey wait, there were no cookies when I went to the Shane Company!! No wonder I didn't like them....

Holly said...

katrina, you make me laugh out loud.

nils, nice job.

Lindsey said...

what a wonderfully fantastic anniversary! Congrats. We'll be joining you in 6 months! As always.