Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Scared of the Dentist


I haven't been to the dentist in an embarrassingly long time. There are a number of reasons, the primary one being no dental insurance and no excess funds to put into dental bills. I've gotten away with it for a long time- I've had no problems or pain. I'm a devout brusher and flosser. Nils, on the other hand, has at least one root canal a year and I'm always annoyed about it because he doesn't floss.

Well, it's my turn. I'm pretty sure I'll need at least one root canal. I can't ignore my nasty molar any longer. Because it's been so long since I've been, I have developed a fear of dentists. Well, it's mostly the dental hygienists that I fear. I've never met a nice one; they're always yelling at you because you don't floss enough and scraping your teeth until the gums bleed. I don't enjoy those people.

Anyhoo, I have an appointment with the dentist on Thursday, and I almost started crying when I hung up the phone. The dentist I chose out of the phone book has an ad that says "We cater to cowards!" That would be me. I'm afraid I'll get yelled at by some mean hygienist because I haven't been for so long. I don't enjoy the shots, drilling, and tooth dust flying about either. Oh- and the $1400 we'll have to shell out is also an unpleasant thought. I would happily go through labor and delivery drug-free in lieu of this upcoming dental visit.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

I feel your dental pain!! I actually went to the dentist two weeks ago and that was only because my Dad gave me a trip to the dentist for my birthday...a year ago! Anyways, I went to Art City dental and the hygenist was very nice and actually helpful! I knew I had two cavities (I could brush 24:7 and I would still get em) because they told me that when I went last time (funny they didn't go away on their own). So, I've gotta go get them filled, I am trying to use pregnancy as an excuse..but I don't think its working! Good luck!

courtneyb said...

excuse me saratoga springs. I actually had to look through your old posts to figure out where you lived. oops. I'm with you on the dentist, I used to not mind but now I hate the SOB

Holly said...

i am not a dental fan either, and finding a good one is the hardest part. but i heard a rumor that there is a really good one in my ward here, and one of my friends in our ward is a hygenist for him. if you want his info, let me know. apparently he doesn't need to advertise because his rep is so good. f.y.i.
i also had a root canal two years ago and it sucked cause we had to pay $700 for it. but the guy who did it was great and i can of got a crush on him (it's okay, dave knows). i can give you that reference too, if nils is okay with it. ;)

courtneyb said...

and it doesn't hurt to ask if he wants to trade you for some of Neils handy work, website, wood stuff. We traded a $750 bill for a painting

Katrina said...

I'd just like to take a moment to thank you all for your support. Holly, Nils has a crush on the dentist he went to in Springville, so I don't think he'd mind if I developed a little crush myself. When I told him I was going to the dentist here in Saratoga, he said longingly, "I'll really miss Dr. Francis", like they're actually close friends or something. Anyway, I'll go to this dentist today, but if he's mean I'll take you up on your referral!