Thursday, May 17, 2007

Finishing the Basement: Step 1



To those of you who regularly check in on this blog, sorry for the boringness here but I wanted to start the documentation of my basement finishing project. I went ahead and ordered the studs for framing the basement so they should be here tomorrow. In preparation for the arrival of all that lumber (2oo 8' boards plus 13 of the 16' pressure treated pieces) I decided I had better organize the basement a bit so that I could actually work down there. I moved all of our crap to the middle, ripped all of the temporary insulation down and then hammered down the little metal brackets that were sticking out of the foundation. So now I'm ready to bring in the boards and start nailing. I bought a big ol' box of nails and borrowed the neighbors giganto framing nailer. It scares the pee out of me. If you hold the trigger for more than a split second it fires three nails. Ouch. That'll take some getting used to but hopefully the framing will go quickly. So now it begins. Yeah!

Lessons Learned:
  • Don't haul around a bunch of useless crap in boxes that you leave in the boxes for years. It makes for more work when it's time to finish the basement.
  • Don't buy lumber at Home Depot. Home Depot 2x4x8' cost: $3.35. Local lumber store cost (Burton Lumber): $2.30. Quantity needed: 200. Savings: $210!

3 comments:

courtneyb said...

awesome, i'm excited to see the progress. I wish i could make progress posts about my weight loss! but that would require effort and discipline.

Melinda B. said...

Yes Courtney, why don't you take those photos in a swim suit for us?
Nils- I am so excited to see this project step by step! I am so envious of your mad house building skills!

Holly said...

nils, you better lock up katrina if you have some studs coming to your house. you know how she is...
(okay, i know that was SUPER cheesy, but i couldn't resist.)
also, be careful with the nail gun. did you ever see Happy Gilmore?