Sunday, October 25, 2009

Welcome to the Family! You'll be Dead Soon!

Saturday, October 24, 2009 is a day that will go down in the annals of history, for it is the day that we got our first pets.

We're not really "pet people", if you will, so our investment of 8 dollars in the pets pictured above seems appropriate. 8 dollars total. Including the exotic tank.

The fish on the left belongs to Anders, and has been named "Bolt". The fish on the right belongs to Addie, and has been named "Pretty I Love You".

On the way home from the store, Addie kept comforting her fish by saying, "Don't worry, Pretty I Love You, I'm right here."

Nils has told the kids repeatedly that these fish will be dead in a matter of weeks, just so they're prepared for the inevitable. Hopefully when it's time for the big flush, they won't be too devastated.

If this goes well, maybe next time we'll spring for the $5 fish.

6 comments:

courtneyb said...

pretty I love you, LOL!

Ashli said...

We got our first pet about a year ago for Ethan's birthday. It was a fire belly toad. Less than a year later I gave it away because I hated buying crickets, cleaning the cage and the thing being ignored. It's sad that we couldn't even last until it died. The kids keep asking for a dog and I tell them they are getting a new baby instead :)

Unknown said...

How sad!

Doulabug said...

I laughed right out loud! Thanks I needed that! My mother flushed my fish before it was dead. She was tired of it. She said when she was cleaning its bowl right near the TOILET, it jumped out and fell in and died. I was 6 years old and believed it. His name was Churchy la Femme. RIP.

Holly said...

I'm so anti-pets that I won't even do fish. You are an all-star in my mind.

Effie said...

hmmmmmmmmmm.............. I've thought about fish. but then I realized that my youngest would probably climb up on the counter, grab the fish out of the bowl, and stick it in her mouth. So maybe not.