Sunday, April 09, 2006

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

So Anders is three. This is Nils, by the way. For weeks now he asks the question "Why?" after every statement, order, suggestion, question or observation we make. He continues with the 'why' questions until we tell him to stop. Sometimes it seems like he's genuinely curious and trying to learn. Other times, he does it because he knows we've had enough. Clever little boy. We've tried turning it around on him and asking him why after everything but he quickly gets annoyed and says "Stop saying that!". Oh well.
So my dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer just a month or so ago and we've all been kind of worried about him. He's in great health and had caught it very early. After a bone scan, they determined that it had not spread outside his prostate. After much research, my dad decided to have laproscopic robotic surgery to have his prostate removed all together. That took place earlier this week, on Thursday. My mom called and let us know that he's well and the surgery went smoothly. We're going to call him today, as he should be back home and doing better. It could take months for him to get back to full health, but he runs every day and watches what he eats, so I think he'll be up and at'em before long. When my parents called to let us know the news, they explained that my great grandfather had cancer, my grandfather had cancer and now my father has cancer so... watch out. I'll be getting tested regularly as I progress in age since it seems pretty much inevitable. I can't wait for that :)
It's early April and that means that school is almost over for a little while. I've decided to transfer to Westwood College Online to persue a degree in Game Art and Design but now I'm having second thoughts. I still feel that it's the best option for me but I'm also feeling a little confused and overwhelmed about school in general. My fear is that we'll pay all this money for me to be able to finish within the next 1.5 to 2 years and then I'll either have a difficult time finding a job (if I find one at all) or I'll only be able to get a job that would involve a severe pay cut. I make a decent living right now considerring the fact that we live in Utah County and I have no degree. I work for a company that I really like and I enjoy the atmosphere there. The only thing is- I don't do what I really want to do. I want to do 3D modeling. I want to create environments and characters out of thin air and make them look real and entertaining. Instead, I do marketing. You know- email specials, search engine optimization, sales and promotions, etc. I'm extremely thankful for my job. I feel really fortunate to have a good enough job that allows me to provide for my family and have a nice little home and a minivan. So I think that this is what we'd be up against upon graduation: Continue what I'm doing for x per year, or do what I really want to do for 1/2x per year. Hmmmm. I dunno. We can't live on much less than what I live on now, so I don't think 1/2x is an option. We shall see.
That's about all I'm going to blab about for now (thank goodness, right?). I'm sure Katrina or I will keep you updated as decisions are made. For now, I'm really looking forward to being done with this semster and spending some time outdoors in the nice weather. I hope to darken my skin tone from angelic white to caucasian white. I don't know if that's possible. Rock on, folks.

No comments: