Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ticketmaster? No thanks.

I'm sorry to Katrina for posting so soon after she did (she's asleep right now) but I've got a dilemma. Call me what you will but I've always wanted to see a Monster truck show. What's not to love about unnaturally gigantic trucks with seven foot wheels and 8 gajillion horsepower engines crushing tiny helpless cars and flinging mud. All this and permanent hearing loss, too. How exciting! Enter: STEEL THUNDER!



Anders and I try to have a boys night out every month and I heard the radio commercial for the Steel Thunder tour coming this weekend. Adults: $11.50, kids: $5. $16.50. I can handle that. I tell Anders about the big event and he's totally excited. I log on to buy tickets this morning and here's what I get:

Tickets (Steel Thunder) ADULT-ADV US $11.50 x 1
Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $4.00 x 1
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $5.90 x 1

Childs Advance purchase ticket US $5.00 x 1
Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $3.00 x 1
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $4.10 x 1

Order Processing Charge(s) US $5.10
Will Call No Charge


TOTAL CHARGES US $38.60

Now, math is not my strong suit but I believe that's a 233% increase over the advertised ticket price. WHAT!!!? So here's my question - is there a cheaper way? I've looked on eBay, KSL, stubhub and several other sites. Nothing. I read that buying tickets at the venue will save you from ticketmaster's fees but which ones? Thanks for any input.

Anybody else want to head to the monster truck show Friday or Saturday?

6 comments:

courtneyb said...

when i worked at Smith's, I sold smithtix and was always amazed at the fees!
i THINK the venue is the cheapest way to go.but i never buy tickets so i haven't a clue.

Misty Anderson said...

I think you dont have to pay the convienence fees if you buy at the venue.

Tigerlily said...

When you buy a ticket you always have to pay a "ticket fee" and a "building preservation type of fee". The only thing you will save by buying at the venue is the ticket processing fee at the end of your print out. Because they will not have to mail you your tickets. It's dumb I know but even those WICKED fans out there had to pay a building preservation fee to see it next year..... I think it was $5 and then $1 so the fees at your venue are a little steeper than the capitol theater but at least your tickets are not $90 bucks to start.....and the only way to do it is through the agencies they have contracted with to sell there tickets.

Holly said...

the only thing i can think of after reading that is "sunday! sunday! someday!"

courtneyb said...

good call Holly.

Anonymous said...

Sunday Feb 1,2009 - Check your front door when you get home.